EdTech with MisterA
Shane is the Technology Integration Specialist at Momilani Elementary School, located in Pearl City, Hawaii. He has been integrating technology from Google to Minecraft into his classes for over a decade with lessons ranging from economics to humanities. He started at Momilani in 2004, where he taught in the 4th grade and leveraged the fifteen available computers in the school on a regular basis. Fast forward to present day, where the number of devices available at the school exceeds 500 and he is responsible for maintaining, planning, and integrating the 1:1 program.
Throughout the week, he teaches approximately 240 students from third to sixth grade, with a focus on computer science, computer literacy, and engineering design. The computer science program focuses on the use of unplugged, digital, and physical computing such as circuits and robotics. Much of the computer literacy revolves around Google Suite, but also includes programs related to art, design, and the internet. Through game design and 3D fabrication, he utilizes the engineering design process as a structure for projects.
Besides student learning, he also provides staff professional development focused on utilizing technology to increase productivity, communication and most importantly reaching learners.
He has been presenting locally and internationally on the use of technology in education for many years. Shane has presented in many venues, from local schools to the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), primarily on the use of game-based learning and computer science in the classroom. He also provides workshops that take users from beginners to builder to integrator.
- Hawaii Society for Technology in Education - President (2019)
- Computer Science Teachers Association, Hawaii Chapter - President (2017-2018)
- Minecraft Global Mentor (2016-2019)
- Code.org Computer Science Fundamentals Facilitator (2015-Present)
- Code.org Computer Science Discoveries Facilitator (2018-Present)
- State of Hawaii Computer Science Work Group
AWARDS and RECOGNITION
- Proclamation for Momilani CSforALL Night (2018)
- PAEMST nominee (2017)
- University of Phoenix Hawaii Outstanding Alumni Award (2016)
- ISTE Making It Happen Award (2015)
- PAEMST nominee (2015)